This course will satisfy the academic training necessary to qualify as a Drug Recognition Expert (DRE) Instructor. The course is conducted over five days and includes instruction in advanced physiology, advanced eye signs, instructor development, and the Drug Evaluation and Classification (DEC) curriculum. The course culminates with a written examination in which you must achieve a minimum score of 80% in order to progress to the certification phase.
After successfully completing the academic portion, DRE Instructor-candidates must then complete the certification phase. It is the student’s responsibility to complete the certification requirements within six months following the DRE Instructor course. These requirements include: instructing a minimum of two (2) hours in a DRE school (or other school approved by the state coordinator) while under the supervision of a DRE Instructor; and supervising two drug influence evaluations while under the supervision of a DRE Instructor.
To be considered for the DRE Instructor course, applicants must meet the following required criteria:
- Must be a current Drug Recognition Expert in good standing;
- Must have recertified as a Drug Recognition Expert a minimum of one time;
- Must be approved by the agency DRE Coordinator, the head of the agency, and by the Regional DRE Coordinator;
- Must have the following instructor certifications: - A law enforcement General Instructor Certification (as outlined in Rule 11B-20 F.A.C.) or have successfully completed an FDLE-approved Instructor Techniques course; and - SFST Instructor Development (IPTM’s DWI Detection and Standardized Field Sobriety Testing (SFST) Instructor Development or equivalent) (Copies of both certificates must be included with the application package.)
- Must have a reasonable background and experience level in the DRE program and have completed a minimum of 25 drug influence evaluations (10 must be enforcement and all entered into DRE database); and
- Must have a toxicology confirmation rate that meets or exceeds the standards established by the IACP for DRE certification
Request an application from your State Coordinator, Carol Jolly.