Learning Outcomes Student Profiles Program Schedule Register Now
Becoming a certified fitness professional proves that you have the knowledge and expertise to lead fitness instruction safely. This online course will prepare you for two of the most in-demand certifications in the fitness industry: NASM Certified Personal Trainer and AFAA Group Fitness Instructor. You will gain key skills from videos, presentations, and other hands-on learning activities to master health and fitness topics, including nutrition, human movement science, and fitness assessments.
This course includes exam preparation, as well as the certification exam fees. The NCCA accredited NASM CPT Personal Trainer Exam and AFAA Group Fitness Instructor Exam is taken at a local testing center (PSI), and you can schedule your exam date after completion of the course and eligibility requirements.
- Fundamental scientific concepts related to exercise science
- Design a well-structured, effective, and balanced fitness class or workout for a diverse group of participants
- Essential instruction and presentation skills necessary for effective group instruction
- Key traits of professionalism as a group fitness instructor
- Skills and knowledge required to be a competent group fitness instructor
- Mastery of health and fitness topics, including nutrition, program design, human movement science, and fitness assessments, among others
The course itself is available to all candidates interested in furthering their education in the field of personal training and group fitness. In order to take the NASM-CPT and AFAA-GFI credentialing exam, candidates must be 18 years or older and meet one of the following eligibility requirements:
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Must have current Emergency Cardiac Care (CPR) and Automated External Defibrillator (AED) Certification before sitting for the exam. All CPR/AED courses must have a hands-on training component. AFAA will not accept a CPR/AED certification card from an online provider.
There are 140 course hours included in the course over the span of 12 months.
This is an online self-paced course.
| Module 1: NASM Certified Personal Trainer
- Professional Development and Responsibility
- Client Relations and Behavioral Coaching
- Basic and Applied Sciences and Nutritional Concepts
- Exercise Technique and Training Instruction
- Program Design
| Module 2 : AFAA Group Fitness Instructor
- The Group Fitness Industry
- Foundations of Exercise Science
- The Human Movement System
- Integrated Fitness
- Teaching Basics
- Teaching: Multi-training and Exercise Technique
- Class Planning and Preparation
- Adapting to Class Dynamics
- Communication and Learning
- Inclusive Instruction for Special Populations
- Class Engagement and Motivation
- Professional and Legal Responsibilities