This course focuses on the effective and efficient management of detective unit personnel, procedures, and investigations in order to improve organizational processes and increase clearance and arrest rates.
The objectives of this program are two-fold:one addresses the administrative requirements for managing the criminal investigative process; the other focuses on managing the operations of the investigative unit. We will examine several strategies, policies, and forms that are designed to make the management of the investigative unit more effective. You will learn efficient and productive techniques and systems enabling you to better control personnel, paper flow and daily job routines.
- Organization of the detective unit
- Manpower allocation in the detective unit
- Detective supervisory considerations
- Distributing workloads and case assignments
- Investigative filing
- Case review and management systems
- Evaluating performance of investigative personnel
- Managing the investigative marginal performer
- Intergenerational management issues
- Supervisory and command leadership
Sworn law enforcement personnel, new detective unit supervisors or commanders, veteran supervisors given an investigative command assignment, patrol supervisors who aspire to a position in command of an investigative unit
What Our Students Are Saying
- “Dan McDevitt is a “Cop’s Cop”. His knowledge and experience of cops and management is an asset and benefit to anyone attending the course.” – Sgt. T.S.
- “Performance evals is always an important topic. Our agency is expected to complete them without a lot of training. Good info on how to deal with the marginal employee.” – Sgt. P.J.
- “Dan is an extremely credible instructor with the experience to back up everything he taught.” – Asst. Chief J.M.
- “This was an excellent class. This class will benefit me Monday morning when I get back to work.” – Sgt. G.H.
- “Dan is an extremely knowledgeable instructor who can present such relevant information in an entertaining manner. You respect his knowledge because you see and feel his passion for doing the right thing!” – Lt. A. K.
- “This should be a required seminar for new detective sergeants.” – Sgt. A.M.
- “Immediate applicable knowledge shared. Relevant topics with excellent examples. Great instructor that knows how to share his knowledge and experience. This course has made me better." – E.L. Lt. Cmdr. (20+ years of service)