This course focuses on the effective and efficient management of detective unit personnel, procedures, and investigations in order to improve organizational processes and increase clearance and arrest rates.
The objectives of this program are two-fold:one addresses the administrative requirements for managing the criminal investigative process; the other focuses on managing the operations of the investigative unit. We will examine several strategies, policies, and forms that are designed to make the management of the investigative unit more effective. You will learn efficient and productive techniques and systems enabling you to better control personnel, paper flow and daily job routines.
- Organization of the detective unit
- Manpower allocation in the detective unit
- Detective supervisory considerations
- Distributing workloads and case assignments
- Investigative filing
- Case review and management systems
- Evaluating performance of investigative personnel
- Managing the investigative marginal performer
- Intergenerational management issues
- Supervisory and command leadership
Sworn law enforcement personnel, new detective unit supervisors or commanders, veteran supervisors given an investigative command assignment, patrol supervisors who aspire to a position in command of an investigative unit
What Our Students Are Saying
- “Instructor was extremely knowledgeable and very professional. Course material was current, on-topic, and very informative.” – D.K.
- “Performance evals is always an important topic. Our agency is expected to complete them without a lot of training. Good info on how to deal with the marginal employee.” – P.J.
- “The instructor is fantastic. He has done everything he is teaching.” – S.F.
- “As an ‘out of left field’ supervisor, I found the case management portion to be the most beneficial!” – S.S.
- “Dan is extremely knowledgeable in this field and his presentation is easily understood. I have thoroughly enjoyed this course. I intend to send other members of the CID supervision to this class.” – L.P.
- “Immediate applicable knowledge shared. Relevant topics with excellent examples. Great instructor that knows how to share his knowledge and experience. This course has made me better." – E.L. Lt. Cmdr. (20+ years of service)